Monday, October 21, 2013

Succession Planning Stalemate

Me: I really would like to live in Eville and do a, b and c for the next couple of years

Company: That is something to consider but we'd like you to live in Bville for a little longer and then move to NYCville for a few years and then maybe move around to a few more cities so you can do x, y and z. Forget about Eville and a, b, c.  

Me: So...I'd really like to live in Eville and do a, b and c for the next couple of years and I'm open to your plan in the future but right now, this is what I would like to do.

Company:  You should be moving upward and onward. Living in Eville and doing a, b and c won't do that for you. You will have to go to NYCville and do x, y and z.

Me: Totally understand what you are saying and that this might be a bit of a detour from your plan for me but..I'd really like to live in Eville and do a, b and c for the next couple of years and I'm open to your plan in the future but right now, this is what I would like to do.

Company: But we don't think this is the right thing for you. You will love NYCville and doing x, y and z. It will be the best role you have ever had and you will learn so much, blah, blah, blah (more selling)

My internal voice kicks in: "Negotiators Tell. Sales People Sell"

Me: I agree with what you are saying... that the role will be the best thing ever but...for the next couple of years, I'd really like to do a, b and c and live in Eville and THEN let's plan the next 5-7 years. "Negotiators Tell"

We shall see...all I can do is ask for what I want right?









No comments:

Post a Comment