Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"Oh What A Tangled Web We Weave When First We Practice To Deceive"


I consider myself to be a relatively good judge of character but people surprise me sometimes...and I worry I'm starting to get cynical about human nature. You think you know someone and you may have even been through ups and downs together...and you may have even had a breach of trust in the past but you worked through it together...and through it all you stuck with each other...you forgave and moved on...friends, lovers, business partners, significant others or whatever the relationship may be...but then you discover that it was all for not. You discover a web of lies and/or half-truths...so now you question EVERYTHING. How do you trust again? Do you confront the person or just let them continue to weave their web of lies and deception? Why bother saving the relationship...Is it even worth trying? If they don't have enough respect for you to be honest in the first place then why bother? I tend to try to "fix it"...I mean...everybody makes mistakes, right? And if I'm not trying to "fix it", I usually will seek justice...silly and juvenile but sometimes I just can't help letting them know they've been busted just so I can see the look of sheer panic on their face when the truth is finally out. The worst is when trust is broken in a love relationship...that horrible anxiety ridden feeling in the pit of your stomach when you know things have changed forever.

What is more important than trust? Without simple trust, there is basically nothing to fix and no reason to hold on. Sir Walter Scott's quote (the title of this post) explains it perfectly...but I also like this simple verse...reflects the hopelessness of a relationship with no trust:

"I hate liars....
 Fuck love I'm tired of tryin'
My heart big but it beat quiet"
 - Tyga in Chris Brown's Song Deuces

1 comment: