Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Gratitude: Day 16

One year ago today, I turned in my resignation from the most high profile role I have had in my career with a major consumer packaged goods company. I was burnt out and had had a tremendously right year from a personal perspective and was just ready for something completely different. I knew what I was walking away from and I had no job lined up other than the idea that I wanted to become a Pilates instructor.

I gave my company 90 days with the promise of additional flexibility if needed while they worked to fill my role. 2 weeks after resigning, I was sitting in our corporate office in Manhattan talking with our VP of sales about what I was going to do next. He expressed his appreciation for my contribution as well as concern for the financial risk I was planning totake entering into the fitness industry. 

I must have had a very puzzled look on my face as to the direction of our conversation because he then decided to get to the point of why he called me into the office. He said he understood my desire for change and my entrepreneurial spirit but that he was afraid that I may dip my toes into the fitness industry and might not like it and want to return. His concern was that they may not have a role for me where I wanted to live when I came back so he wanted to discuss options that would allow me to pursue my Pilates certification and still keep my career in tact.

I was stunned...I had not resigned to negotiate and was not expecting this at all. Through several conversations, I was offered a role in a city I selected with a pay increase and full relocation benefits.

It was the beginning of a major turn around in my life and so many amazing things have happened in just 365 days since I turned in my notice on 11/12/13.

Today, I am grateful for:
1.) The amazing company I work for and people I work with every day.

2.) The awesome opportunity they have given me to keep my career while pursuing one of my personal dreams / goals at the same time.

3.) All the positive changes I have experienced in the last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment